Sunday, October 21, 2012

Getting Ready for Winter Storage


Saturday I went to the boat yard to continue the winterization process.  I had to drive around the yard slowly to find where they park the boat.  Since I told them I planned to put it back in the water in early April, they put me on the outside of the row.  Makes for easy access.

 
When they hauled the boat out of the water they power spray the bottom.  It looks pretty good.  No need for painting next season.   J

Found Thanks Dad next to a 50-55 footer on Saturday
 
I removed most items from the boat including the sails, lines, electronics, bilge pump and many other miscellaneous items.  I also “winterized” the head by flushing anti freeze through the system.
 

On Sunday I fabricated a frame for a winter cover.  I used 1” Schedule 40 PVC pipe.  I designed it so that I will be able to remove the bow and stern pulpit, stanchions and life lines.  I plan to have the bow and stern pulpits straightened over the winter.  I also plan to straighten and sand blast the stanchions.  The frame design should be good for this year without the pulpits and stanchions and it will also work for subsequent years when they are left in place.


The frame has a “T” fitting at the base of each leg which is 36” high.  Then it goes to a “45” degree fitting, another straight piece and then to a “T” at the peak.  The height above the deck is high enough to easily get around the entire boat. 
 
"T" fitting tied to the base of each stanchion
 
"45" degree fitting at the top of the "36" leg
 
Peak
 
Working around the mast (aft side)

 
Working around the Mast

 
I sprayed each fitting with silicon spray so that it will hopefully come apart easily next spring.  I plan to drill a pilot hole and then use a stainless steel screw at each fitting to make sure everything holds together.
 

Finished frame looking forward

Finished frame looking aft.
 
Frame in the bow

 








1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed that you out together that frame yourself! What a talented Dad I have!!!

    ReplyDelete