Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bi-Polar Winds

I didn’t get the chance to go sailing on Saturday because the refrigerator at home decided to die Saturday morning just as I was getting ready to leave the house to go sailing.

 
On Sunday I went sailing with my brother. 
With only 1 week end left before we have the boat hauled out of the water, we had the holding tank for the head pumped out and filled up the fuel tank before heading out for the day’s sail.
The temperatures were on the “brisk” side with a high of 49 degrees while we were out sailing.  We both wore long johns, but for most of the day we only had to wear a sweatshirt.  With the sun out it was ok.  Towards the end of the day more clouds were overhead and with the sun behind the clouds it motivated us to put our jackets on, but it was still pretty comfortable.
The winds were all over the place in both speed and direction.  The wind speed ranged from 6 to 20 knots, picking up and slowing down and picking up and slowing down again many times. The direction of the wind was changing from coming out of the west to the north and then back again several times.
All in all it was a good day for a sail.
Last week I bought a new kite for my Kite Cam.  The wingspan was 50” compared to the 41” wingspan of my first kite.  I figured that would be enough to get the camcorder up.  I did not open the kite’s package though and once I did it was a big disappointment.  Yes the wingspan was bigger, but overall it was a tiny kite.  I pretty much knew it wasn’t going to work, but gave it a try anyway…it didn’t work.

No comments:

Post a Comment