Sunday, April 15, 2012

I like when things work out as I imaged them in my mind.


Last weekend I removed the aluminum “tabernacle” (shell support at the bottom of the mast in which the heel of the mast is stepped) and brought it to work on Friday to sandblast it for no other reason than to clean it up a bit.  It had some paint and oxidation on it.  It looks nice now.  I think it will make the boat go faster.
“tabernacle” before
“tabernacle” after

This weekend I installed the new “king starboard” panels to replace the delaminated plywood one that were on the cabin wall just inside the companionway.  As part of the process I wanted to “build out” the panels another 1.5 inches to have the panels cover the back of the compass, wires and any other things that had been or may be mounted in that area.  I designed and had the guys at work make stainless steel “straps” to mount the new panels to and provide the extra 1.5 inches I wanted.  I had bought some aluminum extrusions online to “trim out” the new panels and also to be the slot for the companionway hatch boards to slide into.  Looks exactly like I thought it would…I love it when a plan comes together.
2 of 3 starboard side "straps"

2 of 3 port side "straps"

New panels and extrusions installed

All done with temp companionway hatch board in place.

View top side
I also remove two more thru-hull fittings to be replaced.  These two are for the cockpit and deck drains.  I figured it was a good idea since the one for the engine water inlet broke so easily last weekend.  I might as well do them all now.  They will then be good for another 30 years or so.  Getting at them was a bit of a challenge.  I had to remove the access panel in the bottom of the cockpit, twist at an angle the human body was not designed to do and work will my head lower than my knees.  The space it also crowded and getting leverage on the wrench for the fittings, valves and hoses caused me to mumble bad things under my breath. 

Port side thru-hull fitting removed.  Three drain hose were feeding into it. Thru-hull hole in center of photo. 
Unscrewing the starboard side thru-hull fitting from the bottom


No comments:

Post a Comment